Thursday, September 13, 2007

Grams Diner


I tried Grams Diner last Sunday. Yes, it's not exactly a hole-in-the-wall type of place but I've never tried it before, mainly because it's very rare that I crave American food when I'm here in the Philippines. I heard good reviews about it and I was in the mood for Red Robin-type burgers, so I tried it last Sunday. I went to the branch at The Loop.

The decor was nice-- typical 50's diner. I got the Cuban Burger (P175) with a side of fries (P45) to go. The burger comes with a small side of salad which, frankly, I can do without. They boast of a half-pound patty so I was expecting it to be big and hefty; to my disappointment, I found that they flatten the patty in that particular burger. I chose the Cuban Burger because it had pickles and Dijon mustard, but I wasn't aware of the flattened patty. I think they should clearly indicate this detail in their menu. I was also unimpressed by the amount of fries I got. To be fair, the fries were actually good-- real potatoes with enough crunch.

So what's my assessment? Not as impressive as I thought it would be, but it deserves a second visit (I'll steer clear of the Cuban). The menu actually looked good and the service was nice. Maybe I'll try the Classic American Burger next time, or the Philly Cheesesteak.

By the way, if you're gonna be an American diner, do bring on the fries.

2 comments:

LegallyChef said...

For my greasy burger cravings I usually go to Brother's or Chilli's. Nice and thick burger patties.

Yep masarap nga sa Red Robbin! bwhaha. But when I'm in vancouver, Earl's is the place to go.

ANNE CASTRO said...

The best burger for me in Manila, believe it or not is the char-grilled ones they serve in the Sunday Legaspi Market. They have 2 sizes: the small one which I get (and whic isn't that samll) is on P60 and a jumbo one which I know is under P100.